Thank you to the roughly 68% of West Whiteland residents who have completed the 2020 Census! There is still time to get counted and the most important thing you can do is respond online, by phone, or by mail when you receive your invitation. Responding now will minimize the need for the Census Bureau to send census takers out into communities to follow up.
If you use a P.O. Box to receive your residential mail, you will NOT receive an instruction letter from the Census Bureau. But, you can still fill out the 2020 Census from now until October 31, 2020 by
- Filling out a form online at 2020census.gov.
- Completing the census over the phone by calling 844-330-2020.
The US Census is a national survey conducted every 10 years to count the population. Our community benefits the most when the census counts EVERYONE. Census counts affect federal funds and grants and guides predictions that affect local economy.
Every person in the U.S., both citizens and non-citizens, is required by law to fill out the 2020 Census form, which you can do using a mailed-in form, the U.S. Census webpage, or phoning the Census Bureau. You will not be asked if you are a U.S. citizen.
Why is the Census important?
- Federal funding: Each year, the federal government provides $675 billion in federal public funding. The Census will determine how those funds are divided among the 50 states for the next 10 years. Pennsylvania receives 26.8 billion dollars each year through our 16 largest federally-funded programs. That’s about $2,000 per Pennsylvanian per year.
- State Funding: The Commonwealth relies on census data to allocate money to local governments. Some of these programs include: liquid fuels funds, Act 13 natural gas impact fee distributions, community development block grants (CDBG), foreign firefighters relief funds, and recycling grants, and more.
- Fair representation & legislative redistricting. The Census determines:
- How many seats PA has in the U.S. House of Representatives (Pennsylvania currently has 18 seats and is expected to lose one seat following the 2020 Census, we had 36 seats)
- How U.S. congressional and state legislative districts are redrawn
Safety precautions and adjustments as a result of Covid-19
2020 Census video announcement link
Instructional video to complete census online (many languages and sign language)
For more information, visit the Chester Co. Census Committee website or call 610-344-6285.