West Whiteland Township receives money from Pennsylvania based on the amount of material we recycle. The more we recycle, the more money we get back to keep the trash bag prices down. Please help us continue to make recycling pay!
- Recycling material MUST be placed in a rigid wall container. Recycling put at the curb in plastic bags will not be collected.
- All cardboard must be flattened and tied or bundled or flattened and placed in a rigid wall container clearly labeled for recycling.
- NO LOOSE BOXES WILL BE COLLECTED
Preparation of Recycling MaterialA partial list of items is below. For items not listed below, and to find out where you can dispose of non-recyclable items, use the What Goes Where tool in our Recycle Coach app!
Items to recycle:
- Phone books
- Magazines, Catalogs, Brochures
- Mail, Junk mail (labels, windows OK)
- Mixed Paper – copy, fax, computer, tablet, flyers, construction paper, folders
- Paper bags – empty & clean (no oil or grease stains)
- Books – remove hard covers
- Cardboard/Boxes – without liners or wrappers, flattened and cut down if over 4’. (No greasy or oily or cheese pizza boxes. Remove the contaminated area and discard in the trash).
- Glass – clean food & drink bottles and jars only. Labels need not be removed, put lids in trash.
- Metal – Rinse steel food & beverage cans, empty metal aerosol cans.
- Aluminum – Beverage cans, pie plates & foil. All items must be rinsed and free of food.
- Plastic - #1 through #7 food, laundry and drink containers. Please return plastic shopping bags to the grocery store to prevent littering.
Items NOT accepted for recycling:
- Tissues, paper towels, paper napkins
- Wax paper
- Food contaminated paper or boxes
- Pet food bags
- Carbon paper
- Plastic envelopes (Tyvek, Federal Express)
- Plastic Bags, Liners
- Disposable Diapers
- Light bulbs
- Plate glass/window glass,
- Drinking glasses, crystal, ceramic cups and plates
- Flower pots
- Ovenware and cookware
- Food wrappers and plastic cutlery
- Clothing hangers
- Needles and medical waste,
- Scrap metal
Did You Know?
West Whiteland Township ranks in the top 4% of Pennsylvania municipalities for money awarded for recycling. And it’s all because of you - our residents and businesses - and your recycling efforts!
See more information and recycling tips (PDF)!