Child Safety Seats
Safety Seat Inspections
Officers Joe D’Andrea and John Pot, Sergeant Jeff McCloskey and Detective Michael Buchmann have earned certifications as “Child Safety Seat Technicians” and are now authorized to check all types of child safety seats to ensure that they are installed properly. Safety checks are held by appointment and can be arranged by calling the Police Department at 610-363-0200, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or via email.
Please allow for about one hour for the comprehensive inspection and remember to bring along the vehicle owner’s manual and the safety seat instruction booklet. Car seat inspection services are performed for Township residents and for people who work in West Whiteland Township.
American Academy of Pediatrics Child Passenger Safety Recommendations
The policy statement is clear and concise as it encourages slowing the transition from one child restraint type to the next. It does this with five best practice recommendations:
- “All infants and toddlers should ride in a rear-facing car safety seat (CSS) until they are 2 years of age or until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer of their CSS.”
- “All children 2 years or older, or those younger than 2 years who have outgrown the rear-facing weight or height limit for their CSS, should use a forward-facing CSS with a harness for as long as possible, up to the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer of their CSS.”
- “All children whose weight or height is above the forward-facing limit for their CSS should use a belt-positioning-booster until the vehicle lap-and-shoulder seat belt fits properly, typically when they have reached 4 feet 9 inches in height and are between 8 and 12 years of age.”
- “When children are old enough and large enough to use the vehicle seat belt alone, they should always use lap-and-shoulder seat belts for optimal protection.”
- “All children younger than 13 years of age should be restrained in the rear seats of vehicles for optimal protection.”
If you have any questions regarding this statement, please email us.